Air source heat pumps have been around for decades, but it’s only now that they’re starting to make an impression on the British public.
This is mainly because of the huge financial incentives on offer, as well as the willingness to become ‘green’.
These type of pumps extract heat from the air, using it to warm your home or hot water. So this begs the question of which heat pump is best, the air-to-air or air-to-water variety.
1. With air-to-air pumps, warm air is pumped into the home
2. With air-to-water pumps, a heating loop is warmed linking to radiators and underfloor heating.
When it comes to comparing the two, it’s best to start with the financial incentive. And in this case,
air-to-water heat pumps win the duel hands down. They’re eligible for the Government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) and payments are made for every unit of renewable heat you produce. This can be worth thousands of pounds over the seven year period.
But that doesn’t necessarily mean you should instantly dismiss air-to-air systems. When the product has a reversible form too, whereby the house can be cooled as well, these are actually very popular. In fact, with one less heating exchange they’re often more efficient than air-to-water pumps.
What you will need though is an extra unit to the one fitted on an external wall. This will be situated indoors and can be wall or floor mounted.
You’re probably wondering why they don’t receive Government payments, but this all comes down the difficulty in measuring the amount of heat that’s actually produced.
Facts & Figures You’ll Love To Share
- With an air source heat pump you can save hundreds of pounds every year on your heating bill.
- Take advantage of the Government’s lucrative Renewable Heat Incentive linked with heat pumps, which pays out for seven years.
- Heat pumps are easy to install and will provide major cash savings for over two decades.
- Energy bills have doubled since 2004, so avoid further increase by installing your own home heat pump.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?